The Botanical Garden Side of the Zoo

The Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden began as the second zoo in the country in 1875 as the Cincinnati Zoological Garden. Designed by Adolph Strauch, he stated, “An experimental garden might be most advantageously combined which would contribute much to the attractiveness of the place, and minister in no small degree to the public taste.” To this day, we continue that legacy with a beautiful and progressive botanical garden that consists of a vast and diverse collection of plants, all of which recorded in a data base and many labeled, plant trialing, pollinator research, plant conservation, community gardens, leading educational programs, ecological restoration, and much more. Learn more about the botanical garden side of the Zoo at: https://cincinnatizoo.org/horticulture/